A `Tender` from Edwin Niblett
of Gloucester to build the `Thornbury Station` was received in June,1871
and accepted for £405.00.
Further `Tenders` were
considered in February,1872 to build the `Station Masters House` and
`Goods Warehouse` `Tenders` were accepted from Samuel Robertson of:
£288.10.0 (Station Masters
£664.13.0 (Goods Warehouse.)
Tracks were laid by the 5th
March,1872 - the turntable foundation costing £192.00 was awaiting the
The first Public Train ran
from Bristol to Thornbury on the 2nd September,1872 on board was `The
Mayor` and 100 Guests and Passengers, was welcomed by the Town by a
Fifty people booked from
Thornbury on the first train to Bristol.
In the afternoon 600 children
and teachers travelled by a Special train of 18.coaches to Yate and back
for 4d each, and were also entertained to tea.
The line was closed to
passenger traffic on June 19,1944.
Home ...... Return ......
Main Menu ....... Return
to Site Map